Since we’re coming up to the holidays, today I wanted to talk about decorating. Decorating for the holidays should be fun, but with everything else we have going on, often it is just one more thing that causes us stress. To help with that, here’s what I have done over the last few years:
- I store my holiday decorations in bins by the room or area where they normally go. Take a look at the picture of my labeled bins. Within the bin, I place pictures of what the area looked like when I finally got it exactly as I wanted it.
- That doesn’t mean that I don’t vary it each year, but at least I have a good idea of where I want to start!
- When I have 15 – 20 minutes, I will grab a bin and decorate that specific area. Since it’s the week before Thanksgiving, I’ve already done a few areas. I like to get my winter dishes out early and use them well into February each year.Here’s a before and after picture of my dining room.
4. To keep an area from being too cluttered, most of my regular decorations go into the bin for that area. That way I can do the reverse process after the New Year when I put everything away.
So, how do you get to this point, so that next year will be easier?
- Get yourself some clear bins so you that it’s easy to see what is inside of them.
- When you get an area decorated to perfection, take pictures!
- After the New Year, store your decorations by room or area – for example – chimney, dining room, hutch, family room, or tree decorations, etc. Use areas that make sense to you. Make a label and put it on the front of the bin. Place your pictures of the area inside the bin.
Next year, decorating will be a breeze!
Enjoy decorating and have a Happy Holiday!